Tuesday 19 July 2011

Stepping out in style

New contributor here! It's Cassandra from the Exec, Midori was nice enough to let me contribute to the blog. It may be a little early to start discussing footwear but I can't help it. I love shoes!
Midori and I were talking about how to add some semblance of a ohashori (the fold at the hips) to your outfit if it's too short by pulling your kimono / yukata higher than you usually would and showing more of your feet and ankles.

One great way to make use of all this extra viewing area is to wear some funky shoes. While geta and zori are traditional you can add some flair to your outfit by trying something different. Heels and boots look great with outfits that have kimono and yukata pulled higher than usual and dressy sandals and wedges look great peaking out from underneath. Here are a few examples of kitsuke using non-traditional footwear:

The silver heels in the middle are a classic example of using minor accessories to help colour coordinate your outfit. The silver of the heels match her obi and the little silver design on her outfit perfectly. Her shoes also make her outfit a little more 'dressy' than a regular pair of geta would.


I'm including this collage because I love it. Her boots work with both the pink and the black hakama. With the pink outfit her shoes match because her black gloves balance the mix of darker tones with the bright colours. Your eyes are not immediately drawn to her shoes, they're a lovely touch without over-powering the look.
With the black hakama her boots almost emerge seamlessly out from underneath, giving her feet a beautiful, slender appearance.

So when you're all planning your next outfit look at your shoe collection and experiment a little. Who knows what you can come up with using things you already have in your own wardrobe!
-Cass

I love wearing shoes with kimono! It's hard for me to find kimono that are the right length. However, by wearing western shoes (high heels and boots) I'm able to wear my kimono and hakama shorter (above ankle to mid calf if I'm feeling daring) than if I was wearing geta or formal zori (which demand that the kimono hem is no higher than the top of the foot). Wearing western accessories with kimono date back to the Meiji period! - E

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me that I need to post something on Meiji use of western accessories and something on HAKAMA!

    ReplyDelete